Saturday 30 January 2010

Lunch at Werner's Oven, Siglap

One of my ex-classmates from my NUS German class suddenly had a craving for German food at Werner's Oven and initiated today's lunch. I gathered she asked a number of people, and some were interested, but in the end only 3 of us showed up - the initiator, and two of us who live in the east. Guess Siglap was a bit out of the way for the "westerners". It was a pretty good lunch though, here's what we had:

Fritierter Camembert Käse



The two of us shared this while waiting for our friend to come. It's fried camembert cheese with raspberry sauce. It's a little more salty than I anticipated - I always thought camembert had a very mild taste - but in a delicate, rather subtle way. I suppose as an appetizer, the saltiness does help to, well, appetize.

Bärlauchwurst



For the main course, two of us had what was described on the menu as "coarse pork sausage with wild garlic herb, served with potato salad & sauerkraut". It was the meatiest meal I've had in a while, but that's German food for you (I wonder what vegetarians would order at Werner's). It came with a small bit of mustard on the side, a good thing, since it helped to take off the meatiness. I liked the potato salad too - potato slices in mayonnaise with apple bits and I think some pieces of hard-boiled egg. Servings were huge, it took me ages to finish the whole lot.

Ox-tail Stew



My other friend had the Ox-tail Stew, first item on their All-Time Favourites menu list. I only tried a sliver, but the meat was tender, and the sauce smelled marvellous. I think an entire plate of it can be a bit too much though.

Jägermeister



I was quite full after my sausage-cabbage-potatoes combo, and ordered one of these babies to round up the meal. Had been intrigued all through lunch by its description: "Germany's famous herbal liqueur with 56 different herbs, barks, roots and flowers ... also believed to soothe the tummy after a meal and a good hangover remedy."



Well it was plenty herbal alright, it felt like drinking one of those chinese medicinal ointments that people use to treat sprains. My friend thought it tasted like Woods cough syrup. I downed a whole glass of ice water while finishing the shot. I have to say, the liqueur may not be the best drink I've tasted, but it seems to live up to its promise as a tummy-soother. I thought I was stuffed after my meal, but an hour later, my stomach seemed to be getting empty again.

Final word on the meal - satisfying, would have been better if I'd finished with a dessert.

No comments: